2015-12-27

Days of Snow - Reboot

Last year, I did my first full season as a skier, in Italy totally pretty much exactly 100 days of snow.

Unfortunately, that was not enough. So this year, I'm going east for 40+ days of snow in Japan. Although I had some amazing skiing last year, by far the best of my life, I did manage to hit perhaps the worst snow-year in at least 25 years in Italy. My luck is not with me this year either, the start of the season in Japan has been terrible, it's all the El Ninos fault. I should have gone west.

Previously I did this blog in Swedish, but now it feels right to go international. Hoping for some great non-Swedish-speaking friends in the far east. Sorry Swedes, but you're all almost native English speakers anyway.

Writing this, I'm on the flight from Copenhagen to Narita, Tokyo and just hoping my skis made it as well. I'll be working as an on-site guide for Active Ski as well this year.

It's hard to explain the call of the mountains, even to myself, but as I found myself in Italy doing things that were really far out of my comfort zone (that's an understatement) and really enjoying it this is stepping it up a notch. I'm both apprehensive and really excited to arrive and start exploring new mountains as well as the extended responsibilities in riding with guests in the side- and backcountry.

I feel pretty well prepared though, especially after 6 of perhaps the most grueling days in a long time in Åre, attending the Avalanche Technician training there. Safety is after all paramount, and now I have quite a bit of experience as well as some top notch training. Looking forward to digging some snow pits. Brought along my snow kit with saw, thermometer, magnifying glass, raster and everything.

Still on the plane, tomorrow we'll arrive at the Myoko-Kogen resort me and the lead guide Linus who is to introduce me to the area before the guests arrive. In just under two days I'll be able to report from the slopes of Mt. Myoko-san.

Do follow and comment!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar