2016-01-16

Culture Shock - Now

I'm not sure what the official definition of culture shock is, and for once I've not Googled it. My own definition is when the new culture starts annoying me in various degrees. When traveling to a new country or area with differences in culture, my first reaction is typically wonder, amusement, interest and simply enjoying the discover of different ways of doing common things, or entirely new things.

My first 10 days in Japan were generally like this, but now I've apparently entered the next phase, which I call culture shock. This is going to sound like I'm whining and that I'm really uncomfortable here, but that's not really the case. I'm intellectually aware of the process my mind is going through, but in the short term it comes out as irritation and annoyances.

Also, in a short while the feelings of annoyance will be replaced by a feeling of normalcy.

As it turns out, there are certainly some things that can annoy my Western and Swedish mind. Here's a short list of current grievances:

  • Taking your shoes off even when the shoes are sandals made for indoor use only.
  • The perception that naked fluorescent light fixtures are cosy.
  • That smoking is something do be done indoors in restaurants and hotel rooms, or at entrances to buildings. 
  • Building houses out of board and single-pane glass in a country with real winter. Insulation, anyone?
  • Sitting on top of thermally active ground, and the best thing to do with limitless supply of hot water is apparently to let it run in the streets, while keeping all public areas in building and restaurants at subjective sub-zero temperatures. Heat pumps, anyone?
  • Taking your job seriously working in the lift is good, but after 10 days seeing me (and not that many others) in the lift many times a day, he still requires me to take out my ski pass every time.
Oh, well, this too shall pass. In the meantime, we've done some skiing but also some transceiver search training with the Active Ski-guests.

The other guide instructs in near-search.
One effect of the idea that pouring hot water out on the streets is a brilliant idea is that Myoko is probably the most humid and cold place I've ever visited. The cold literally seeps into your body, regardless of how many layers of clothing you have. But it's good for creating a nice foggy night-time ambience.
Sometimes it's even a bit creepy.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar